65km, 3,150 metres in altitude, demanding climbs in the middle of numerous 4,000-metre peaks. The Stoneman Glaciara offers you a very special challenge.
As always: You choose your starting point yourself – the way it suits you best. You are also completely free to pick the date of your trip during the season.
10 tips for your gold tour (1 day) on the Stoneman Glaciara Hike
- It is best to run in the weeks between July and August. During this period the daily sunshine lasts at least 13 hours.
- Start right after sunrise and only if you are physically and mentally completely fit.
- Before you start, take a close look at the route map in your starter pack and read the stage descriptions. Memorize the hazard zones in particular!
- Check the weather forecast and bring appropriate clothing. Remember, you will be running at an altitude of over 2,000 metres. There it is up to 12° C colder than in the valley in the same weather. Remember: the weather can change quickly in the Alps!
- Despite the dense signposting, use a GPS device with the current GPS track as a precaution. This way you won't lose any time if you miss a sign.
- You will receive the latest GPS track with your starter package reservation by e-mail three days prior to your start or on site at the official issuing offices and lodging partners.
- Take enough water and food with you. Be sure to refill your water reserves whenever possible. Maybe the next water station is temporarily unavailable.
- Take your time to read the information board at the checkpoints. That way you can relax, pause for a moment and prepare for the next stage.
- Inform your official issuing office if you return later than planned or have to cancel. You will find the phone number on the route map in your starter package.
- Take a whistle with you if you're riding alone!